Fertility counseling is a form of therapy for anyone who is struggling to conceive. It can be helpful for couples who are considering fertility treatment, those who are already undergoing treatment, or when considering adoption. Fertility counseling can also be beneficial for couples who have been through fertility treatment and are struggling to cope with the aftermath. Fertility counseling may also be beneficial for those who want to understand their options and journey, grieving a pregnancy loss and/or dealing with the emotional side of infertility. It is an important part of the treatment process because it helps to explore, identify and understand the emotional aspects of the infertility journey.
Know That You Are Not AloneIf you are struggling with infertility, you are not alone. Struggling with infertility or the loss of a ‘natural’ pregnancy can be an overwhelming and heartbreaking experience. You might be experiencing more than one emotion at the same time. You may feel like you are missing out on something that everyone else seems to have. The emotional effects of this journey can be difficult to cope with. You might find yourself feeling:
- Guilty and remorseful
- Being disappointed in your body
- Lacking control
- Feeling uncertain about the present and the future
- Feeling fearful and hopeless
- Loss of privacy and control of your body
- Anticipatory grief at the possibility of being childless
- Having a shattered life image or shattered image of the future
How Can Therapy Help?Getting the support from someone who understands what you are experiencing and who can offer reassurance that it’s normal to feel these feelings when going through this process is crucial. Fertility counseling typically involves meeting with a therapist on a regular basis. During these sessions, you can discuss your struggles with infertility and work on ways to cope. There are many benefits of fertility counseling. Here are some of the ways therapy can help:
- Help you understand your fertility and make informed decisions about your treatment options.
- Help you cope with the emotions that come with fertility problems, including anxiety, stress, depression.
- Help you explore your feelings and emotions
- Improve your communication with your partner
- Provide support and understanding during a difficult time in your life
- Explore feelings such as anger, regret, grief
Therapy Plans at Get Reconnected Psychotherapy ServicesCoping with infertility can be a difficult process. There are many different ways to cope with infertility and the different treatments that come with it. At Get Reconnected Psychotherapy Services, we will spend time getting to know you and listening to your story. It is important to find a good fit, so that you can feel supported in this process. We are here to help with:
- Preconception planning and support
- Post-treatment coping and support
- Unpack and process any feelings with respect to your identity now
- Explore feelings and find ways of coping/accepting them
- Help you continue your journey towards parenthood while coping with the difficult emotions that you may be experiencing.
- Make decisions about your future fertility, whether that be through treatment or by making changes in your lifestyle.
- Engage in relaxation and mind-body connection to help in your monthly cycling