Do you feel stuck in certain thoughts or behaviours that are keeping you from living the life you would want for yourself?
Do you have trouble accepting difficult experiences or feelings and try to avoid them as much as possible?
Are you looking to cope better with life’s challenges and live a more meaningful life?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) might be worth considering as a treatment option.
What is Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)?
ACT is a type of therapy that focuses on helping individuals learn to accept their thoughts and emotions without judgment. The goal of ACT is to help people live a meaningful life, even when they are experiencing negative emotions. To do this, ACT focuses on taking actions that align with your values.
ACT suggests that trying to avoid or suppress unpleasant thoughts and feelings can be harmful and can increase suffering. Instead, ACT promotes accepting these thoughts and emotions and taking committed action based on one’s values and goals.
ACT can help with various issues and concerns, including:
ACT typically involves individual therapy sessions, as well as the practice of mindfulness and other acceptance-based techniques.
Benefits of ACT
There are many potential benefits to Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. Some of them include:
- Improved emotional regulation skills.
- Greater self-acceptance.
- Enhanced problem-solving and coping skills.
- Greater feelings of control and personal autonomy.
- Improved relationships with others.
- Increased self-esteem and self-confidence.
- A greater sense of purpose and meaning in life.
Through the practice of acceptance and purposeful action, you may be able to find greater meaning and fulfillment in your life.
What is there to know about ACT before treatment?
- ACT is a type of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) that emphasizes acceptance of challenging thoughts and feelings, as well as taking action based on personal values.
- ACT combines mindfulness techniques to help individuals stay focused on the present moment and observe their thoughts and feelings without automatically reacting to them.
- ACT also involves setting goals based on values and taking consistent action towards them, even when faced with difficult thoughts and feelings.
ACT incorporates behavioural activation, which involves scheduling activities that bring intentional pleasure and meaning into one’s life. It also teaches self-care techniques such as grounding, stretching, and other skills to move away from anxious thoughts and feelings.
ACT teaches tools and skills to help people commit to their values, despite any discomfort or distress they may experience. This includes identifying personal values, defusing from thoughts, noticing the present moment, and taking committed action.
ACT Treatment at Get Reconnected Psychotherapy Services
At Get Reconnected Psychotherapy Services, we focus on helping you increase self-awareness and make positive changes in your life by identifying and aligning with your personal values.
Our sessions are customized to your individual circumstances and will teach you acceptance and mindfulness techniques. We will work with you to set goals based on your values and help you take steps towards achieving them.
For more information about our approaches, please contact us at [email protected]
If you are ready, book your first session.
To learn more, watch this short animated video on ACT